• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

gord96

Colonel
57 Badges
Nov 28, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • March of the Eagles
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • BATTLETECH
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Magicka
Oh Serbia!

Serbia_l.jpg

As the calender turned to the year 1836, the Principality of Serbia was in a very precarious position. Despite being being a de facto sovereign state, they still felt the ominous presence of the giants surrounding them.

The Serbian's former overlords, the Ottoman Empire, still would march troops through Serbian lands at will. Almost to say, "yes we gave you some freedom, but we can take it back whenever we please." And to the north there was little comfort from the greedy Austrians who laughed at the Serbians struggle to gain their full independence. Despite years of brutal oppression at the hands of the Ottomans, many Serbians saw Austria as the bigger threat.

Internally, things were not so swell either. The dream of a freedom was slowly fading as the country was ruled by the autocratic and sometimes brutal Prince Miloš Obrenović I. A hero of Serbia during the revolutions earlier in the century, he now was enjoying the power and money his position brought him and had no plans to let go of it. Backed by the ruling Absolutist party, it didn't look like he would have to anytime soon. Some of his supporters point to constitution he tried to push through in 1935 as signs that he is not completely opposed to sharing power with an elected body. But others are quick to point out this move was at the bayonet point of a rebellion and was supposedly squashed by the Austrians and Russians. Rumors still persist that he was behind the failed constitution and he passed the blame for its failure onto the great powers.

Oh Serbia. What does your future hold?

mining-scenes.jpg

A coal mine in Šumadija province.

Serbia at this time had an economy based on agriculture and coal mining. There was no industry to speak of. The country was barely breaking even. Miloš I was concerned about his for although he was autocratic, he did care deeply about the Serbian cause and his nation's continued independence. To keep Serbia free, the Prince wanted the country to be financially independent and have a decent standing army.

The first problem was dealt with via a loan from the Russian Empire who was the one power that seemed to want to encourage the small state. This loan would help Serbia through the next few years to set the groundwork for self sustainability. Miloš decided to use a large part of that money to expand the military. He ordered the raising of another infantry regiment and purchased some artillery pieces as well as some rifles from Austria. The Austrians had sold Serbia the weapons at a ridiculous price. Miloš didn't have much of a choice though as cheaper sales from Russia were blocked by both Austria and the Ottoman Empire. The Sultan even issued a decree that any smuggling of Russian arms into Serbia would be viewed as a hostile act. Austria expressed a similar view as they collected the bags of Russian gold from the Serbian government.

Last edited:
Good. Luck.

The only minor I've been able to do anything with is Greece, and for them. blocking the Marmara is key to winning that first war. It'll be interesting to see how you do.

20090320204759!Signing_of_Treaty_of_Ghent_(1812).jpg

Prince Miloš I and the Russian High Chancellor form an alliance.

As spring rolled around in 1836, the Tsar of the Russian Empire continued to offer a steady stream of supplies, money and support to the struggling Serbia. Prince Miloš I was grateful and invited Russian diplomats to Belgrade, the Serbian capital, to discuss further opportunities.

At the same time training continued for Serbia's new infantry regiment and of course training of artillery crews for the over priced guns. Once done, The Army of the Principality of Serbia, would muster nine thousand infantry and nearly six hundred artillery pieces. Not too bad for a nation that size, but nothing compared to it's bigger neighbors.

The Russian delegation arrived in Belgrade on March 14th. They had come through Austria on what was labeled a trade mission. One week later, on March 21st, a formal alliance was signed and brought into effect between the Russian Empire and the Principality of Serbia. The Prince was overjoyed and there was a sense of security throughout the cities, towns and farmlands of Serbia, for they had the giant Russian Bear watching their backs!

Last edited:
Good. Luck.

The only minor I've been able to do anything with is Greece, and for them. blocking the Marmara is key to winning that first war. It'll be interesting to see how you do.

Thanks! We will have to see. Things don't look good. Some tension will arise with the Ottomans soon. Hard to say what will happen. :)

Isn't Russia's SoI about the safest place for Serbia to be at the start?

Good luck! I've been meaning to play as Serbia for some time now, and I'll be following this with interest.

An excerpt from a letter to Minister of the Treasury......

Hello my dear cousin. Or should I say Minister. I hate to trouble you but I have a matter that needs to be known to the Prince and the rest of the government. Word may have reached you already, but I have found myself in quite the dilemma. As a trade official for the region I was tasked a few week back to travel into the Ottoman Empire to assess the trade opportunities in Ottoman occupied Southern Serbia. I left immediately from Kragujevac with a small party of merchants and other officials. Shortly after crossing the border, everything seemed to be fine. However, after stopping at a nearby border town for rest and refreshment, we were confronted by the local authorities. The matter soon escalated and ended with our goods being confiscated. From there things became worse. Several members of our party were beaten by the local police and arrested and are still being held. Myself and a few others were questioned then released. The others have been charged with smuggling, which is absurd, and are going to be tried and most likely shot. The local police chief seems to believe we were on a mission to bring weapons to Serbians in the region. Once again cousin, I hate to bother you, but I felt this was a matter that needed to be brought to the attention of the highest Serbian authority.....

527px-Willem_van_Mieris_-_An_Old_Man_Reading.JPG

The Minister of the Treasury gets an alarming letter from his cousin.​

Last edited:
Prince Miloš I was furious when he received word of the Ottoman authorities actions in Southern Serbia. Not only was it a slap in the face of his country, it helped fester an already open wound as that region was very much disputed. Serbian national pride flared. Demands for the liberation of their oppressed brothers to the south rang out. Miloš however had his hands tied. Serbia's small army in no way could stand up to the hordes that the Sultan had at his command. More so, the Sultan and his ministers were probably hoping Serbia would do something rash so Ottoman troops could return to the region. No troops had entered Serbia since the alliance with Russia was signed months before.

3204689.jpg

The Ottoman Sultan showed no remorse for the border incident.​

When Miloš demanded the nationals released and his country issued an apology, the Ottoman's didn't even bother to reply. Instead they answered by signing a military alliance with the Austrians. When word reached the Tsar however, he immediately issued a VERY strong demand for the return of the incarcerated Serbians and an apology to the Serbian people. The response was the execution of the prisoners.......

423px-MilosObrenovic_1848.jpg
Nickolas2.jpg

Prince Miloš and the Tsar of the Russian Empire​

The executions of the Serbian nationals escalated tensions in the region to the breaking point. By allowing this, the Sultan, not only spat in the face of Serbia, but Russia as well. Even Greece, who was in a similar situation as Serbia offered her support to Prince Miloš.

In mid-May Prince Miloš gathered his ministers as well as the Russian ambassador to his estate outside Belgrade for an emergency meeting. The normally tough and unshakable Miloš was out of character as he spoke openly about his concerns and worries about the situation. Russia promised her support. At the same time Austria promised her support for the Ottomans. A letter from the Tsar urged Miloš to act.

Dear Prince Miloš I. The insults the Sultan committed against our great nations is a reason for war. You must call for the liberation of your southern lands as payment for these great crimes. Russia will support you. Hold your ground. Defend your lands. The Austrians will pay for supporting the heathen Ottomans. Act Prince! Act!.....

On May 29th, 1936, Prince Miloš I of Serbia signed the declaration of war against the Ottoman Empire. His hand shook as he did it. He feared this act would bring about the destruction of all he and his countrymen had accomplished during the revolution. However, there was no choice. The pressure from Russia was too great. And his pride would not tolerate not acting either.

ge-turk-mobilization3.jpg

The nations of the region mobilized their forces.​

Within days both Russia and Austria entered the war. Also, the Ottoman satellite states of Wallachia and Moldavia supported their overlords. Miloš was saddened when Greece abandoned her support and turned her back on Serbia.

Scouts reported that forty thousand Austrian troops were marching towards Belgrade and the province of Bor. The Prince ordered the Army south to Kragujevac, not wanting to throw it away before the war even got started. Three thousand Serbian reservists garrisoned the capital and awaited the Austrians. Prince Miloš also made sure all his gold was sent south as well.

Leading the Army of the Principality of Serbia was General Dragan Damjanic. This young commander had caught Miloš eye during the closing years of the revolution and was one of the few officers to hold onto his career during the purge following the rebellion of 1835. The General agreed with the Prince that the Army should be preserved to fight in more important battles then to be smashed by the Austrian flood to the north.

180px-Stevan_Sindjelic2.jpg

General Dragan Damjanic​

Serbia is a difficult choice. I gave it a go not long ago. Lucked out when the Ottomans attacked Egypt and the UK and France intervened. I was allied with Russia, but they dishonoured the alliance. I thought I was screwed, but the two GPs stayed at war with the Turks long enough for me to get them to concede Southern Serbia. The plus side to losing Russia was that it automatically ejected me from their sphere as well. I thought I was in a commanding position from there, and went on to reclaim all my cores (barring Montenegro, left them be) in addition to forcing the Ottomans to release Wallachia and gobbling them up. I even got up to 9th position by the 1870s and was set to join the GPs, but for some reason my economy crashed hard. My industry (which was giving me the score needed to keep my place and make it to 8th) starting costing me hundreds upon hundreds in daily subsidies. I tried to hold out but it didn't seem to recover. I think it was because I had expanded many of my factories to the point they had such massive import costs (because Serbian lands don't have many useful resources, so they had to get them internationally) that they tanked in profitability.

Anyway, I hope a similar fate doesn't befall you! I don't know how I would've done declaring war in 1836 AND having to fight Austria at the same time! I'll be following along.

As the winds of war swept over the region, the rest of Europe watched with great interest. Almost immediately two Austrian armies crossed over the Serbian border. Three thousand mobilized reserve infantry stayed behind in Belgrade to 'somewhat' contest the city while the Prince, the Army and pretty much the entire Serbian government made a new home in and around Kragujevac.

The Battle of Belgrade was a bloody affair. Serbian soldiers fought tooth and nail for every piece of ground. Austrian artillery began to pound the city, causing great civilian casualties. The Austrians too lost many men as they tried to secure the Serbian capital. At the same time twenty five thousand Austrians were busy occupying the farmlands of Bor. The Prince ordered that the Army was to stay put, and save itself. There was much grumbling in the officer corps as many wanted to send help to the beleaguered garrison in Belgrade. Even General Damjanic was wanting to help somewhat, but in the end he realized that was just his pride. Attacking right now would doom the Serbian Army. They would wait for the right chance.

A-River-Landscape-With-Figures-Fleeing-A-Burning-City.jpg

Civilians flee Belgrade.​

Elsewhere the the Russians had made a three pronged push. One prong into the belly of Austria, another into Moldavia and the final one into the Ottoman Empire. Heavy fighting was reported on all fronts. Russian success was also reported on every front except for the Ottoman front as the attack was blunted, then followed by a massive counter attack by the Sultan's troops. The Russian's scrambled as the Ottoman's drove for the Crimea.

By August, Belgrade was captured by the Austrians and was the Bor region fully occupied. The Army of the Principality of Serbia waited to defend Kragujevac. But the Austrian's never attack. In fact, much to the surprise of the Prince and his officers and ministers, the Austrians left Serbian lands and marched north. The Russians had driven deep into Hungary and the Emperor ordered all troops to help stem the Russian advance. Like a cat General Damjanic advanced his men to recapture the lost territories.

King+Peter+I+on+the+battlefield+sepia+image.jpg

Prince Miloš weeps upon setting eyes on Belgrade.​

Only a small amount of Austrian troops were left to garrison their conquests. These pockets of resistance were quickly overrun for the most part. The Austrian garrison in Belgrade put up a decent fight but was eventually overrun as well. It is said that the Prince sat down and wept when he saw Belgrade again. Many parts of the city were ruins and smoke still rose from where the fighting was heaviest.

Just read this through, hope you continue it.